Several years ago I saw a very interesting quilt top on Ebay. I decided to bid on it and won the auction. Several days later it arrived and I was dismayed to see how badly it was pieced. This had not shown up on the quilt photos on Ebay. My first reaction was anger—I was going to give bad feedback to the seller. Before I could do that she sent me feedback and said “God bless you for buying my quilt top”. My anger was instantly gone and I knew that it was probably her best work and she needed the money.
Next came the issue of what to do with this quilt top. It was constructed with tucks and pleats and areas that would not lay flat. This was a very large quilt top and I did not think I would ever be able to fix everything wrong with the top. I even took the quilt top to retreats and my friends and I would lay this top out on the floor and no one had a clue on how to fix this quilt top!
Last year I upgraded to Statler Stitcher after trading in my first Gammill. In the first few weeks after the delivery of my Gammill I decided that I was going to tackle this quilt top. I had a very nice looking graphic black and white fabric on hand and loaded it for the back of the quilt. With the knowledge that I had a quilt top with many flaws, I loaded 2 layers of 5 ounce polyester batting. I chose a very dense quilting pattern that came with my Statler Stitcher and got going. It felt like a miracle—the tucks and pleats got pulled in as I was stitching. My dense quilting took 2 bobbins to complete a quilt row. Needless to say I went through lots of thread. My end result was a great quilt which now belongs to our little granddaughter Mackenzie. This pattern is called the Eye of God. I will bet there are lots of you out there with challenging quilt tops. This was a solution for me.